Trump halts WHO funds

President Trump halts funding to the World Health Organization. He accused the organization of not doing enough to stop the COVID-19 pandemic.

By

National News

April 15, 2020 - 9:49 AM

President Donald Trump speaks during a news briefing on the coronavirus pandemic along with members of the Coronavirus Task Force at the White House in Washington, D.C., Friday. (Yuri Gripas/Abaca Press/TNS) Photo by Yuri Gripas - Abaca Press - TNS

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he was cutting off U.S. payments to the World Health Organization during the coronavirus pandemic, accusing the organization of failing to do enough to stop the virus from spreading when it first surfaced in China.

Trump, who had telegraphed his intentions last week, claimed the outbreak could have been contained at its source and that lives could have been saved had the U.N. health agency done a better job investigating the early reports coming out of China.

“The WHO failed in its basic duty and must be held accountable,” Trump said at a briefing. He said the U.S. would be reviewing the WHO’s actions to stop the virus before making any decision on resuming aid.

Related
July 20, 2020
May 1, 2020
March 13, 2020
March 12, 2020